In this outstanding picture book collection of poems by Newbery Honor-winning poet, Joyce Sidman ( Song of the Water Boatman, Dark Emperor and Other Poems of the Night) , discover how animals stay alive in the wintertime and learn about their secret lives happening under the snow. Paired with stunning linoleum print illustrations by Rick Allen, that celebrate nature's beauty and power.
* "Each poem brings a sense of humor, respect, or wonder to its subject."
--Publishers Weekly, starred review
* "Concluded with a glossary of big but fascinating words, this is equally suited to curricular units and cozy reads in front of a fire."
--Booklist, starred review
* "A work to be savored by young artists and scientists."
--Kirkus, starred review
* "Winter Bees distinguishes itself with a focus on the science of animal survival, coupled with superlative illustrations. Readers young and old will enjoy this winter journey and marvel at the wonders of nature."
--School Library Journal, starred review
"A handsome, persuasive, and authentic ambassador for creatures in their natural state."
--Horn Book Magazine
"A collection that's as crisp as the first snowfall, Winter Bees is the pefect way to pass a chilly afternoon."
"This author-artist duo makes winter wonder-filled."
* "Sidman is a master at retaining overall momentum while giving the individual poems their own form and style."
--Bulletin, starred review
The Newbery Honor Award winner Joyce Sidman is simply one of the best poets writing for children today. For her body of work, she recently won the Award for Excellence in Poetry for Children. She lives in Wayzata, Minnesota, where she has grown to know the cold. joycesidman.com Rick Allen endures the winter by pressing original linoleum cuts, curious wood engravings, and other printed ephemera in collaboration with his wife and creative partner, Marian Lansky, and their assistant, Janelle Miller. kenspeckleletterpress.com
Target Age: 6-9
Pub Date: November 04, 2014
0.4" H x 11.1" L x 9.5" W