AWARDS: *Moonbeam Silver*, *John Burroughs Association Riverby 2016 Award*
Narrated in the poetic voice of the estuary itself, and accompanied by natural-history sidebars about estuary plants, animals, and cycles, THE SECRET BAY is another topnotch nature book from the author and illustrator of the award-winning, bestselling The Secret Pool.
- A stand-alone book and a stunning companion volume to Ridley and Raye's award-winning Secret Pool.
- Ridley deftly augments the estuary's lyrical narrative voice with sidebars about the plants, animals, and natural processes of an estuary.
- Raye's gorgeous watercolors reveal new features and hidden treats with each reading.
- Back matter includes The Estuary Food Web, Great Escapes (how estuary animals avoid predators), and an author's note about the challenges facing estuaries.
- A perfect book for the budding naturalist and for his or her parents and teachers.
The Secret Bay offers young readers a charming introduction to one of earth''s most important ecosystems. Lively, kid-friendly illustrations and rhyming text draw in younger nature lovers, while well-chosen sidebars and back matter satisfy the curiosities of budding scientists.--Sneed. B. Collard III, author of Firebirds, and A Platypus, Probably
Science writer Kimberly Ridley is an award-winning author of nonfiction books for children. Her joy is sharing her love of nature and writing with children through her books and school visits. Kimberly's picture books, The Secret Pool (Kirkus starred review) and The Secret Bay, have received honors including Riverby Awards from the John Burroughs Association for "outstanding natural history books for young people." Her newest book is Extreme Survivors: Animals That Time Forgot. A former magazine editor, Kimberly has written for publications including The Boston Globe, the Christian Science Monitor, and Downeast Magazine. She holds an MS in Science Journalism.
Rebekah Raye is an artist beloved for her bird and animal paintings and sculpture, derived from her affinity with the natural world around her studio in East Blue Hill, Maine. In Rebekah's words, "My early interest in animals of all kinds continues to be the focus of my painting and sculpture. Our pet chickens, geese, and cats--as well as the wild fox, bobcat, crows, and deer--are my inspiration. The more I learn about the animals I paint, the more I understand how we are all related." Rebekah's award-winning children's books include The Very Best Bed, Bear-ly There, The Secret Pool, and Swimming Home, all published by Tilbury House.
Tilbury House Publishers/WW Norton
paperback: 0.2" H x 9.8" L x 8.8" W
hardcover: 0.5" H x 10.1" L x 9.1" W