In Cooper's flowing prose and stunning watercolor scenes, readers can follow a traveler's trek down the Hudson River as she and her canoe explore the wildlife, flora and fauna, and urban landscape at the river's edge. Through perilous weather and river rushes, the canoe and her captain survive and maneuver their way down the river back home.
Maps and information about the Hudson River and famous landmarks are included in the back of the book.
This stunningly illustrated account of a woman's solo canoe trip down the Hudson is a remarkable example of the art of the picture book... Cooper's oversize gem is for the ages, and for people of all ages. -- The New York Times
* At the conclusion of this beautiful book, readers will feel they have traveled a journey themselves... Expansive content impressively and beautifully presented. -- Kirkus Reviews, starred review
* Evocative... An author's note, sources, and information about the river round out this beautiful book. -- Booklist, starred review
* Cooper's quiet, fluid present-tense prose is perfectly suited to the rhythm of a river... Let the armchair travel commence! -- Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, starred review
* Cooper's watercolor and pencil sketches [illuminate] the details of the trip with a rhythmic mix of vignettes and wide landscapes. -- The Horn Book, starred review
* Gloriously expansive and fluid pencil and watercolor artwork... A marvelous vehicle for nature lovers, armchair travelers, and aspiring boaters and explorers. -- School Library Journal, starred review
Elisha Cooper is the award-winning author of Train, which received five starred reviews; Farm, which received starred reviews in Horn Book Magazine and Publishers Weekly; and Beach, which won the 2006 Society of Illustrators Gold Medal. Other picture books include A Good Night Walk, Magic Thinks Big, and Dance!, a New York Times Best Illustrated Book of the Year. Elisha Cooper lives with his family in New York City. For more information, go to elishacooper.com.
Target Age: 4-8
Pub Date: October 01, 2019
0.5" H x 11.7" L x 10.8" W